Friday, November 2, 2012

Old School Lane's Nickelodeon Tribute: Interview with Christina Vidal

What better way to conclude our review of Taina then talking to the girl who played her: Christina Vidal. Starting at the age of 12, her first movie was the 1993 comedy Life with Mikey starring Michael J. Fox, Cyndi Lauper, Nathan Lane, and David Krumholtz.



Then afterwards, she was in a few movies and TV shows and was a member of a girl group called Gemstone until she got into the popular teen sitcom Taina where she played the leading character. Afterwards, she was in a few movies and TV shows such as Freaky Friday starring Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan, See No Evil, and I Think I Love My Wife. Nowadays, she's a dedicated acting coach, actress, and singer.


I had the opportunity to interview Christina so I hope you enjoy it.




Patricia- In what age did you know that you wanted to act?


Christina-  For as long as I can remember. I auditioned for Life with Mikey when I was 10 years old. It was my first audition and I didn't have an agent or a manager at the time. It was a cattle call audition. And it just continued from then on.


Patricia- What inspired you to go into acting?


Christina- Ever since I saw my sister on TV I said "I wanna do that"!! (Her sisters are actresses Lisa and Tanya Vidal)


Patricia- What was the audition process like for Life with Mikey?


Christina- It was really exciting. Especially when I got to audition with Micheal J. Fox.


Patricia- What was it like working with Michael J. Fox, Nathan Lane, Cyndi Lauper, and David Krumholtz?


Christina- Micheal was so nice to me, he really took me under his wing. Nathan was funny, but quiet . Cyndi gave me singing tips, and David and I became like best friends.




Patricia- What was your favorite episode of Taina?

Christina- My favorite episode of Taina is the one about our singing group. It's called Making the Band.


Patricia- Taina was the first TeenNick show whose main character was Puerto Rican. How did that feel to represent your nationality in that show?


Christina- I am very proud to be the first Puerto Rican girl to have her own show.




Patricia- Today, you are an actress, a singer, a songwriter, and an acting coach. Do you think that Taina would become any of these professions today? How do you imagine what her career would be?


Christina- I think Taina would definitely have her name in lights now. She wanted stardom, that was never my pursuit. 


Patricia- One of the main reasons that Taina was cancelled because it attracted more girls when Nickelodeon at the time wanted to attract only boys. Nowadays, we have shows like iCarly and Victorious. In a way, Taina was ahead of its time. Do you think that if Taina was released today, would it get as much of a following compared to 10 years ago?


Christina- I think Taina would be very popular today. Taina was the forerunner show for all of those other show.




Patricia- What was it like working with Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis on Freaky Friday?


Christina- Lindsey was so much fun. we became fast friends. I miss her. Jaime Lee Curtis was like everybody's mama on set!




Patricia- Who were your favorite singers that made you become inspired to get into the music industry? 


Christina- I always loved singing, even before I started acting. I listened to Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Gloria Estefan... Currently my favorite singer is Brandy Norwood.


Patricia- As an acting coach, what advice would you give someone who wants to go into acting?


Christina- My advice as an acting coach is... Commit to the process and let go. Be patient with yourself and never do anything you don't absolutely love and believe in.
 

Patricia- What are your upcoming projects?

Christina- No upcoming projects.


Patricia- Alright then. Christina, thank you so much for taking the time for this interview.


Christina- Thank you.


You can follow Christina on Twitter @CVDramatix. 


That's all for now. Hope to see you around Old School Lane soon. Thanks for reading.


-Patricia




No comments:

Post a Comment